Wednesday, July 1, 2009

So beautiful

In line at the thrift store I notice Bella smiling and watching the person behind me in line. Turning around, I find a radiant smile. A stooped, elderly woman, with an ironing board in her cart, is smiling and waving at Bella. Making some small talk, I mention "family day" at the store is wonderful as I have seven children I am here picking up odds and ends for.
"Seven?" she asks.
I assure her she heard right.

Without a change in expression, she continues to ask about my family, and takes opportunities to encourage my anwers with a little bit of her own thoughts.

That was that. No big drama. A mild mannered, quiet woman, who had a way to build that ornamented her appearance in ways that clothing, make-up, and even a fountain of youth could not give to a woman.

Beauty is out there. And I often find it in the older generations who are so sensitive to the little people I take with me on my outings. These are the people that see worth in the individual no matter the age nor stature. They radiate care and concern with a listening ear and it always makes me want to hear what they have to say.

Inner beauty. It is breathtaking when it makes its appearance.

2 comments:

  1. Love your new picture...I'm guessing Hannah took it? Love you guys..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Maureen...that was me :)

    ReplyDelete