Monday, August 23, 2010

Thankful.

pictures by Hannah









1 Thessalonians 5:18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

I know what people think. I've heard them make fun of teachers taking summers off. But see, I live with a hard working teacher. By the time the end of the school year rolls around I notice the frayed edginess. The symptoms of a person with a wick burning hard at both ends are evident, and I recognize the need for a rest.

As a mother, I see it in myself. There gets to be a point when my time with the Lord in worship, prayer, and study is intact, and yet still...the turning wheels come to a halt. Having three voices simultaneously calling to me with equal needs, and there is no way to prioritize equal needs, turns the spigot of my mind and heart wide open. Unless by grace I am refilled, you can talk to me all you want, but I probably won't hear you. I'm not ignoring you. I just
can't hear you. If I get upset or worried about something else...forget it. Factory shuts down.

Usually, late at night, when the house is quiet we talk about these things. We talk about feeling like those proverbial ships passing in the night. We talk about our needs to love more, to listen more. We know we need the Lord to refill and refresh us.

Jeremy came home yesterday relating to a Focus on the Family discussion he listened to called Leading on Empty. The author of this book stressed the importance of recognizing our need to pace ourselves, to choose wisely, to take time to be refreshed. It seems obvious, but he pointed out that we forget we are human, and we actually have chemicals in our brains that get released during stressful times. Too many of these chemicals can push a person off the edge. We are human he says.

I hear you, I thought. He knows we are dust. He is gracious and compassionate with us.

And in His kindness and goodness, He leads me beside still waters. Time to listen. Time to reflect. Time to hear His heartbeat. Time to grow. Time to cast my cares.

and then also

t
ime to laugh, time to play, time for sharing heart to hearts, time to love those I am supposed to, more passionately.

It's sound advice. It's good advice. Practically spiritual.

But then, even Paul gave Timothy a little bit of this practical advice for his health.

1 Timothy 5:23 Stop drinking only water. Take a little wine to help your stomach trouble and the other illnesses you always have.

A heart's weekly appointment of health rolls along on Mondays. I sit and give thanks for His many gifts.

This week I give thanks for:









holy experience

No comments:

Post a Comment